What can the social work team at the MFRC do for you??
The social work team can assist you with issues such as work-related separations, parenting challenges, relationship issues, separation and divorce, grief and loss, and family violence. They provide short-term counselling, crisis support, assessment and referral, education and prevention programming. The social work team is entrusted with six emergency apartments and modest financial resources to assist CAF families in their time of need.
Why taking advantage of the Prevention, Support & Intervention Services (PSI)?
The staff can be a resource to you. You can get information to assist you before your situation becomes complicated.
We can provide support while other services are put in place.
If you have an emergency or you are in a crunch, the PSI team can connect you to resources and supports within the military or in the civilian community.
What can you expect?
- You do not need a referral.
- To be treated warmly and respectfully.
- You can access this free and timely service in Shearwater or Windsor Park.
- From 8:00 to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, who is available to respond to you.
- You are in the driver’s seat regarding what you would like to do about your situation.
To speak with a member of the PSI team call 902-427-7788 and ask for the intake social worker.
Family Liaison Officer
The Family Liaison Officer is a member of the Prevention, Support & Intervention social work team. The FLO provides support to CAF families who have a loved one who has been injured or becomes ill while serving.
Some of the services through the FLO include:
- Support for children, parents and spouses of the ill or injured member
- Assistance coping with the impact of the injury or illness
- Emergency accommodations for the ill or injured member and the family
- Access to childcare during recuperation or to alleviate stress
- Assistance navigating through relevant programs and services.
- Aid in development of positive coping strategies
- Family peer support groups/networks
The FLO, located within the Integrated Personnel Support Centre (IPSC) in Windsor Park bldg. WP114, is available Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm. After regular working hours and on weekends, emergency services can be accessed through the Family Information and Referral Services Team or the Duty Chaplain at 902-427-7788 or 1-888-753-8827.
For more resources, refer to Canadian Armed Forces Resources and Community Resources in the Social Workers page of this website.