Parents & Caregivers
The Parenting Support Service promotes positive parenting and healthy child and youth development to military families. We offer programs and services to increase parent’s knowledge, skills and confidence in parenting and child development. Because being a parent is the most important job you will ever do! This includes:
- Parenting Workshops and Groups
- Ages and Stages Questionnaires
- Childcare referrals
- Resources on parenting for child and youth issues
- Parent-child playgroups and activities
For more information on the programs and services offered for Parents and Caregivers, please contact our 24/7 Family Information Referral Services Team at 902-427-7788.
Families with Special Needs
MFRCs within Canada and abroad work to support Canadian Forces families. We offer community based programming, and we are responsive to the needs of our families. Within our communities, there are families with special needs and responsibilities that care for children with special needs, have a partner with health concerns, help support aging parents and want to support a CF member with an operational injury. Family Navigator is a one stop website with information for families throughout Canada.
Check out this great link from the Esquimalt MFRC “Raising Your Military Child”
Suggested Reading Material
- Kids are worth it! Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline by Barbara Coloroso
- How To Talk so Kids will Listen, and Listen so Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- The Power of Positive Talk by Douglas Bloch, M.A. with Jan Merritt, M.S.
- Siblings Without Rivalry: How To Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- Liberated Parents Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
- Parenting Though Crisis: Helping in Times of Loss, Grief and Change by Barbara Coloroso
- Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way by Gary Neuman
- It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Language Delays by Jan Pepper and Elaine Weitzman
- Invest In Kids
- Canadian Parents
- Zero to Three : Military Families
- Today’s Parent
- Canadian Living
- Kids Health
- Canadian Pediatric Society
- Parent Smart
- Nova Scotia Department of Education – Families & Students (P-12)
- Halifax Regional School Board – Resources for Students
- Halifax Regional School Board – Resources for Parents
- Family Navigator
- Parents Matter
- Canadian Health
- Child Safety Link
- Public Health Canada
- HRM Parent
The H&RMFRC web site offers links to a variety of sites maintained by third parties. In accessing these sites, you are leaving the H&RMFRC web site. These links are offered only for use at your own discretion. The H&RMFRC is not liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special and/or consequential damages, in whole or in part, resulting from your use or any user’s use of or reliance upon the content or content in any third party web sites linked to from the H&RMFRC Web Site.
H&RMFRC’s privacy polices do not apply to linked websites. You should consult the Privacy disclosures on each site third party for further information.