Tips For Your Move
Six to Eight Weeks Before Move
- Contact the MFRC in your new city to get welcome and information packages.
- Remove all items from basement, storage sheds, attics, and plan a garage sale or charity donation for all items you don’t want to move.
- Start using things up that you can’t move, like cleaning supplies and frozen food.
- Make a list of all people/organizations to contact about change of address.
- Complete Canada Post change of address forms and mail them to all applicable publications, stores and organizations.
- Get copies of (or arrange for transfer at both ends of move) all school, medical, dental, veterinary, legal, and accounting records.
- Contact insurance agents to transfer or cancel coverage.
- Meet with your IRP representative to discuss details of your re-location.
Four Weeks Before Move
- Contact all current and new location utility companies (gas, water, electric, cable TV, phone & trash collection) to set-up connect/disconnect dates.
- Remember to keep current utilities hooked up until move day.
- Make arrangements for relocation of pets.
- Move valuables to safe deposit box to prevent loss during move.
- Prepare any mowers, snow blowers, boats, snowmobiles (or other vehicles you won’t be using before the move) for the move by servicing and draining gas and oil, to prevent a moving van fire.
Three Weeks Before Move
- Make travel arrangements for family for moving trip, allow for unexpected delays and cash needs that often occur in moves and house closings.
- Collect all important papers (insurance, will, deeds, stocks, etc.).
- Arrange to close all local bank accounts and open new ones in new location.
Two Weeks Before Move
- Prepare auto(s) for trip to new home. Check tires and have vehicles serviced.
- Terminate newspaper and other delivery services at old address.
- If you’re moving out of a building with elevators, arrange with management for use of elevators on move day.
- Schedule for appliance disconnects on moving day or the day before the move, if necessary.
- Withdraw contents of any safe deposit boxes, return library books & rental video tapes, pick up any dry cleaning, etc.
One Week Before Move
- Defrost refrigerator/freezer.
- Plan simple meals for moving day to avoid using appliances.
- Make plans for care of small children on moving day.
- Transfer or withdraw all funds from local banks.
- Separate cartons and luggage items you need for personal travel so they don’t get packed on the truck.
- Pack a box of items you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home and have movers put this box on last (clearly mark box as PACK THIS LAST or UNPACK THIS FIRST) or take it with you.
- Have appliances disconnected and prepared for move.
- Set aside one room for packers and movers to work in freely.
- Notify friends and neighbors of new address and phone number (if available).
- Fill any necessary prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks.
- Set aside manuals and instructions for your current home for new owner.
- Do NOT disconnect your telephone until the day after loading.
- Plan on spending entire day at house with movers. Don’t leave until movers have gone.
- Record all utility meter readings (gas, electric, water).
- Stay with moving van driver to oversee inventory of goods.
- Get routing information from moving van driver.
- Review carefully and sign bill of lading and inventory, and keep your copy in a safe place until all charges have been paid and all claims (if any) have been settled.
- Make final walk-through of house, including basement, attic and closets, to make sure it’s empty.
- Lock all windows and doors, and drop off keys with Realtor, neighbour or new owner.